The Diary of a Princess.

Excerpts of Laura Coltello's Diary


01/07/15

Today was the day. I did it! I went out there, and I used my powers to help people! 

It wasn't a big thing or anything, just three idiots trying to rob a bank, but no one else was around, so I just... I took care of it myself. They had a few hostages, but beyond some scrapes, I got them all out safely, too. My first victory!

My mask was itchy, though. And I guess my energy's too hot for the wig, it started slipping off when I was done. I had to turn down a reporter because of it.

Maybe I should buy some hair dye. Black would look good, I think.

I'll decide later, anyway. Mother is calling, and it's a bit late. I plan to go out tomorrow, too.

03/17/15

Me and Forlorn worked together again today. I could have handled it on my own, obviously, but I gotta admit he makes fighting a lot easier. He always knows how to support what I'm doing. 

He's still too harsh, though. We were fighting two powered today, they were kind of like a duo. One could... I don't know, extend her bones and use them as weapons or something, but Forlorn kept breaking them without a care in the world, even though it obviously hurt her. By the end of it, we didn't even need to knock her out, she just came to me to surrender while crying.

I chewed him out a bit over it, but I guess I can't exactly argue with results. She had hurt a few people and had a rap sheet, according to what that detective said. She'd hurt something like a dozen people before today. 

Anyway, that aside, Forlorn mentioned something weird when we were done. Well, two things, really. The first one was that Giga's Senator, Nicholas, apparently contacted him, but that's not news. I've met him before, both wearing the mask and not wearing it. The creepy bastard doesn't look at my eyes either way. 

The second one was news, though. He mentioned a... well, he called him a friend, I guess. Apparently there was something else happening near the harbor while we were fighting the duo. His friend is powered too, he said, so he took care of that, while Forlorn helped me deal with this.

I'm kind of jealous, I guess. I want a powered friend to fight with. Maybe I'll meet him soon?

05/01/15

What an insufferable bastard! Was he raised by fucking dogs as a kid? I do Forlorn a favor by offering him a place to stay while we finish the negotiations for the Federation (which I'm still not sure I'll even say yes to, by the way), and he asks me if I mind that his 'friend' comes with him. I told him "sure, Forlorn, why not?" because it's not like I don't have the space. Basically all the rooms here are empty, anyway. 

But what does this friend of his do the second he comes in? He commanders a whole room, brings something like three hundred books to it, and then refuses to so much as let me enter it! I mean, okay, I offered, but good grief, it's still my house!

And that's not even getting into what he's like outside the damn room. It's like he owns a damn distillery with how many goddamn bottles he goes through. Wine, vodka, whiskey, rum, scotch... He drinks everything! And it's not, like, he's discerning about it. I've seen bottles that cost a thousand dollars next to stuff you couldn't even call swill. He's a drunk! 

...Okay, fine, maybe he's not. I've yet to see him drunk, and he doesn't reek of alcohol or anything, but still! The least he could do is pick up after himself. I basically have to play twister at night to avoid hitting any of the bottles he leaves throughout the house. 

And his eyes. God, those eyes infuriate me. It's like they're empty! They're always half-shut, and even when I'm talking to him, he refuses to look at me. He's always staring off somewhere, like he doesn't even acknowledge me. 

Grandfather mentioned the previous Seeker was insufferable, too, but I thought he was just being a dick. Maybe he's right about one thing in his life. I expected more of the successor to the dude that freaking destroyed Berlin.

05/14/2015

I had nothing to worry about, I guess. I yelled at Seeker the other day about his damn bottles (and just him being an ass in general), and I was a bit worried it'd cause issues, but it didn't. I kind of screwed up today when fighting, but he covered for me. Rescued the kid and put down the villain. He even checked on me, asked if I was hurt or anything, even though I obviously wasn't. He even cleaned up the house when we got back.

I guess what I told him stuck! It did feel like it was the first time he actually looked at me, at least. 

I never noticed how grey his eyes are, speaking of. It's like they're a storm cloud, they pull you in. I almost forgot where I was.

Oh, and the deal is done, too. As of May 28th, the League of Heroes will be an official entity. I still don't like everything we decided on, but I guess it'll be helpful to have some backing. Maybe it'll show Mother and Father that I don't plan to return. They stopped fucking calling, at least. I guess one of the representatives they bribe tipped them off. 


10/25/2016

I had to meet my parents today. I didn't want to, obviously, but it was one of those stupid political meetings with the parties because of the upcoming election, and I guess the sponsors were invited. Considering they pay for the campaigns of something like a third of the Liberator senators, they were obviously invited.

They didn't recognize me, though. Nova's collars are working well. They didn't so much as glance at me after I gave them the obvious pleasantries when we came across at first. 

The one that was like a hound was Gloria, the guy that's running with Stratton. Thankfully that idiot didn't show, but his running mate wouldn't stay away from me. He kept trying to talk to me even as I offered everyone the niceties and was asking me about everything that came to mind. Why Forlorn hadn't come with me, how I felt about Nicholas not running for Senator again, and if we'd ever considered joining NATO exercises. 

Hell, even when I was leaving, he insisted in accompanying me to my vehicle. 

...There was something a bit weird there, now that I think about it. He was all talk and charm, but the moment he saw Seeker leaning against our car, he turned into the curtest man alive. They barely exchanged a word, and it was all Gloria could do to step away.

Anyway, Seeker brought me back. We talked a bit. I could tell he wasn't exactly interested in all the specific gossip, but he paid attention, and made a few questions. It helped me decompress a little.

Maybe next time I'll ask him to come with me. Sure would beat having to deal with Gloria the whole evening. Besides, seeing him retreat was pretty funny.

02/14/17

I think I saw something I wasn't meant to. 

I had a nightmare, one of those fucking awful ones about school and about her, and I woke up crying. I cleaned myself up and went to the kitchen, thinking I'd get something to drink so I could calm down and stop shaking, but just when I did, I noticed him.

Seeker had been out for the past few days doing only God knows what, but I guess he returned in the middle of the night and didn't want to wake up anyone. Anyway, he was sleeping on the couch, and... well, it's still pretty cold, so I went to get him a blanket or something so he wouldn't freeze, but just as I was gonna cover him, I heard him start to mutter something in some language I don't know. "Mea Victoria", and something about a 'Helios', whatever that is. 

Anyway, it sounded like a nightmare, and he had this wretched expression on his face, and... well, I just went through that, so I shook him to wake him up, and that's when it happened. 

He jumped out of bed faster than I could see him, but then it was like he didn't even look like a man. He was on all fours for a second, teeth bared and his hair raised, like the hackles on a dog, or how you see it happen in those Japanese shows. 

And... and his eyes. I always thought they looked like storm clouds, but they were like a hurricane. For an instant, it almost felt like I saw lightning flash in them.

But then that giant sword of his hit the floor with a clang, and that was gone. He was perfectly normal again, his hair went back down, and he was shaking his head something fierce. He started apologizing, saying he had a bad dream, and I, you know, I just waved it all off. The scorch marks in my room make a pretty good argument I'm not meant to judge what nightmares make you do. 

Something changed, though, sometime around his fifth sorry. I have no idea how, but he figured I'd been crying, and his own issues went out the window. He started asking me what was wrong, if he'd done something, and... 

And he touched me. My face, I mean. I guess that was it, my eyes must have been puffy, but I don't let people touch me. No one gets to. 

And he did, and I just... I didn't let him. I basically sank into his hand when he did, and started babbling. I didn't say anything specific, just that I had a bad nightmare, but it took me like a whole minute before I stepped away and basically ran back to my room. 

Now I'm here, writing about what just happened, and my heart feels like a jackhammer from how anxious I am. 

What the hell just happened?




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History of Crete

On the Cretan Character.

Snippet #3: Monarch Leading the People.