The Ramblings of a King.

For When You Return

Day 254,582

I'm in the New World once more. My voyage was from Asia this time, the Great Qing mainly. My hopes had remained that they'd slow the conquests after gaining Taiwanfu, but I should know better. They war with the Dzungar now, I hear the rumours that an army of eighty thousand marches north to continue the conflict.

No matter. It was time to move on.

As to where I now stand... It's a port town, the locals say, though the total volume of ships that I have seen in the past two weeks tell me it's anything but. It's a natural harbor, I've realized. The Dutch and the British came to conflict over it a mere 50 years ago, with the latter standing victorious, as it so often tends to do, though it did so at a price. One of ours stood against them, and as he fell, he took the Duke of York with him. The region is part of the River Colony now, though I hear that they are causing their masters much trouble. The town, more of a city now, grows faster than they can handle. 

Reminds me of Chandax.

The Ouachipouennes sent me here, having told me a tale of a tribe that married into the Colonies. Their line carries one of ours. The power is unknown, but I have heard mentions of miracles. And yet worry eats at me.

I walked approximately through half the continent, meeting with the tribes. I had learned some of the languages in the past, but things are different now, I have been gone for too long. They stare at me with more distrust than they used to, and for good reason, if what I hear is true. They speak of sickness, of broken tribes forced to run in fear, of how "the white men respect no Gods and accept no bargain".

Should I end them? You would not approve of this conquest. It is within my power. A day, and not an inch of the East will be bereft of flames. A week, and the Empire would lie broken.

But I've seen how the commoners live. They quarrel, yes, and they are fools, for their stupidity seems the only thing shared by all, but they are not evil. They come with hopes of adventure, of new frontiers, with the dashed idealism of those who seek to see the world. They seem only to want a place to call their own, one that the Crown of England cannot provide.

What would you do? What should I?

I miss you.

Day 315,002

My travels have brought me to Giga once more. I had not planned to come here, in truth. I detest this city. The goal was to go south, to where the Spanish had once laid claim to a vast empire. 

An Empire that now lay dying, excepting some fools who have thrown themselves into the mercy of Castille once more.

But the tales of the North were far too enticing to ignore. I had to see how war had broken out in the United States, the Americans tearing themeselves apart after realizing the idiocy of slavery. 

Fools. You could have told them such centuries ago.

I came in from Mexico, through Texas. Some half-wit from that state thought it smart to attack me, calling me words you'd kill him for. It seems the color of my skin infuriated him more than he feared the rumblings at my back. 

His town burned for it. I let him live, so his own may judge him. Turns out it's not only those from Africa the Americans will put on trees. 

Crete flourishes, I should mention. I saw the canal the French started building, three years ago. It's a good one. Remind me to explain the mechanics to you. Much trade already flows to the construction site, and the leader of our island, whom they call Eklektós and choose themselves, has enacted several tariffs on the shipments. I dare say they earn more than Basil ever did. 

I should go. A lantern out of the city, this late at night, would arouse suspicion. Just because they fight for those that look like me does not mean they are allies. 

I miss you. 

Day 372,885

I'll burn this accursed fucking country to the ground. For too long, I stayed idle. For too long, I stayed an observer. I let them chart their own path, as stupid and chock-full of hatred as it was, as it is, for they have elected a monkey disguised as man to lead them. And so they should have! For they have proven themselves even more foolish than he! 

But now? Now, when they dare use you against me? To treat my grief as a fucking rallying cry? As some sort of summoner's horn, thinking the whole of their pathetic lives matches up to but the smallest fraction of yours? I had thought the Americans stupid, but I did not consider them suicidal

I have never cared for how the men of this era call me. They say I'm 'Broken', that your loss has turned me into a lesser man. Maybe I should show them how right they are, and remind them of their place. Show them how I'm nothing more than a broken husk of a gigantic fuck up, how every day where I don't have you is nothing but misery, and how even so, there exists no being on this planet who could put a stop to my rampage. How he who they call their best is nothing more than a- 

No. No. You would not do this. You would not use these words, you would not let rage consume you as it so nearly has me, and you would not punish those who had nothing to do with this. You would-

You would hold to our promise.

I'm sorry. I almost forgot. It's become easier lately. I know, I know, that just proves I'm a failure.

I'll be better. This country's flames deserve better.

I miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snippet #1: March of the Doomed.

On the Cretan Character.

History of Crete